Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Could Cancellara win the big one?

I’m the kind of guy that loves to go for the long shot; the guy that no one thinks is going to win. The guy who attacks and Phil Ligget says “well that boys not going to get very far”, be assured Mr.Ligget I will be the one screaming at the television till my vocal cords grow numb for that poor fool trying to beat the odds. I suppose in essence you could say I’m a dreamer. In spirit of such thought I pondered to myself what many other cycling fans across the globe pondered….Could Mr.V8 aka Mr. I Have a Engine Up My Ass aka Mr. Fabulous Cancellara better known as Fabian Cancellara win the La Grande Boucle aka Tour De France? Well for one thing his old coach seems to think so; in a recent interview Aldo Sassi said I'm convinced he can go for the major Tours. Perhaps not the Giro d'Italia, but the Tour de France for sure”. But really... what does this guy know? I decided to do a little research of my own in which I compared Cancellara to riders like Bradly Wiggins and Miguel Indurain. As far as weight loss goes Bradley Wiggins lost about 15 pounds over a nine month time span in which he went from 171.6Ibs to 151.2Ibs. This subsequent weight loss turned this pursuit champ into a GC contender. I think its generally excepted that Cancellara has got a little bigger of a engine then Wigo, so let us for a second dream of what he could be capable of if he decided to follow in suit of his British counterpart. Another interesting prospective to take into account is comparing Cancalarra to tour legend Miguel Indurain.

“Women Lie, Men Lie, Numbers don’t lie.”

Fabian Cancalarra vs Miguel Indurain

Fabian Cancalarra

Miguel Indurain

VO2 Max

85.0 to 90.0ml range

88.0ml

Height

6’1 (1.85m)

6’2 (1.88m)

Weight

180Ib (80kg)

175 (75.5kg)

Resting Heart Rate

*Under 50 (bpm)

28 (bpm)

Lung Capacity

6.5 liters

8 liters

*Exact numbers not known

Cancellara has also proven himself over multi day stage races with wins in: Tour de Suisse(2009),Tirreno-Adriatico(2008),Tour of Oman(2010) Plus major support work for the shleck brothers in the Tour de France mountains.

Of course we don’t know If Cancalarra will ever be competitive at GC level of the sport, but as I said I’m a dreamer…..

No comments:

Post a Comment